GET STARTED TODAY!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ)? Click here to find out.
- What are the benefits of BJJ training? Click here to find out.
- What makes BJJ different from other martial arts? The strategy. Click here for an explanation.
- Do you teach kids classes? Yes! Check our schedule page to find out more!
- Do you teach Kickboxing? We prefer to specialize in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. If you're interested in learning Kickboxing or some other martial art, we recommend you find a gym that specializes in that specific martial art.
- Do I need a Gi? Not for your first class, but you will eventually.
- Where can I get a Gi, and how much do they cost? Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Gis vary in price, quality and color. You can find yourself a nice starter Gi on Amazon for a little over 50 bucks.
- Do I have to by a certain color Gi? You can pick any color you want, but It’s probably worthwhile mentioning that some tournaments only allow white, blue or black Gis. So if you're interested in competing early on, you might want to pass on that bright yellow Gi for now.
- What do I wear to my first class if I don't have a Gi? Wear comfortable clothes. No buttons or zippers. Shorts or sweatpants and a tee shirt are fine. And bring flip flops.
- Do I need to sign any paperwork before my free trial? Yes. You can fill it out in person right before your first class, or you can do it online from home before class here.
- I've done Judo before. Is BJJ anything like that? There's a joke in some Judo circles that BJJ actually stands for Basically Just Judo. And there's some truth to that. If you take Judo, change the overall fight strategy to keep you safer from strikes, and evolve the ground game several decades (perhaps adding new techniques here and there along the way), you'll have something pretty close to BJJ. All that's to say that your Judo experience will come in very handy!
- What's the difference between takedowns in BJJ versus other sports like Judo and Wrestling? John Danaher answers that question better than anything else I've come up with so far. Click here to get his explanation.
- Why the pineapple? Click here to find out.
- What's your philosophy on Jiu-Jitsu and running a gym? Click here to find out.
- Will Jiu-Jitsu make me badass? In a word, yes. If you have the courage to step out of your comfort zone, step onto the mats and keep coming to class, we'll handle the rest.